Fruit and Vegetables are among the healthiest foods in existence. They are excellent sources of vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. They are easy to digest and exercise a cleansing effect on the blood and digestive tract. They are also rich sources of fibre. Vegetables in particular have the correct proportion of antioxidants, minerals and phytochemicals that help keep the blood sugar level in balance, create better energy in the body and along with fruits build up the immune system. The organic acids and high sugar content of fruits have immediate refreshing effects. Many fruits are rich in vitamin A, which supports the immune system, helps bone growth and keeps the skin healthy.
Our God in His perfect will for man in the beginning gave man a second instruction after the dominion mandate. This instruction pertained to his food (Genesis 1:29). Also, when Daniel and his friends chose to eat vegetables instead of the king’s meat, they emerged healthier and fatter than their contemporaries (Daniel 1:12-15). This eating habit attests to the contrary life expectancy of our biblical ancestors and present day.
Unfortunately, civilisation, modernization and nutrition transition in the world today have eroded our values for fruits and vegetables, and left us with obesogenic diets and the concomitant health challenges it poses.
Below is the rainbow classification of fruits and vegetables and some of their benefits.
- GREEN FOODS: (Lettuce, Spinach, Kale, Cabbage, Cucumber etc.) Green foods are especially good for the circulatory system. They contain minerals, Vitamin B-complex and phytochemicals like indoles which are powerful anti-cancerous compounds.
- RED FOODS: (Tomatoes, Watermelon, Red Cabbage etc.) The phytochemical, Lycopene, in red foods helps to prevent prostate cancer and reduces the effect of sun damage to the skin. Note, the more reddish your watermelon and tomatoes are at the point of consumption, the more their lycopene content.
- ORANGE FOODS: (Carrot, Pumpkin, Squash, Tumeric etc.) Orange foods contain carotenoids that help to prevent cancer by repairing the DNA (genes). These foods are good for the eyes and help night vision.
- YELLOW FOODS: (Pineapples, Oranges, Tangerines, Pawpaw, Peaches etc.) These fruits are high in antioxidants especially Vitamin C. They help to improve the health of the mucus membrane and connective tissue. They also prevent heart disease by improving circulation and preventing inflammation.
- WHITE AND GREEN FOODS: (Garlic, Onions, Celery etc.) The white and green food combination contain a variety of phytochemicals. Garic and Onions contain Allicin – the anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial pyto6 chemical that can act a “POOR Man’s ANTIBIOTIC”. Adding Garlic and onions to your meals reduces the toxicity of high fatty meats.
- RED/PURPLE/BLUE FOODS: (Red Apples, Strawberries, Cranberries, Prunes, Grapes, Blackberries etc.) These fruits are rich in a powerful anti-oxidant called anthocyanin that protects against heart diseases, improve circulation, and prevent blood cloth. They also contain anti-ageing phytochemicals.
Beloved, the time to detoxify your body is now. Make wise informed choices of your daily meals. “You are what you eat”.
GOD BLESS YOU.